Monday, February 23, 2015
Saturday, February 21, 2015
We just had this tonight. Everyone loved it! It was an easy meal. I think it would be good with chicken. Could substitute Quinoa for the rice.
I ended up adding a can of tomatoes and green chillies.
I got recipe here
Cheesy Enchilada Rice Skillet
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Yield 4 servings
- 1 cup uncooked rice ( I did 1 and a 1/2 cups of rice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (used butter)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced(I did 4 cloves)
- 1 small onion, diced( I used large sweet)
- 1 bell pepper, diced ( I did yellow)
- 1 cup canned corn kernels, drained (I did a bag of frozen corn)
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup mild enchilada sauce (I did full 10 oz can)
- 1/2 cup mild green enchilada sauce (I did a full 16oz jar)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano(did 1/2 t)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- I added a can of "tomatoes with green chillies
- In a large saucepan of 1 1 /2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and bell pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in rice, corn, black beans, enchilada sauces, chili powder, cumin and oregano until well combined and heated through, about 2-3 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove from heat and top with cheese. Cover until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro.
My husband and I loved this. The kids wouldn't try it. I left out the Fetta. I put in tiny cheese cubes.
I got this from http://pinchofyum.com
Rainbow Chicken Salad with Almond Honey Mustard Dressing
For the Salad
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts (mine were cut into smaller, thinner pieces which made the sauteing a bit easier)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups grapes, halved
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 cups curly lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup feta cheese ( I replaced with tiny cubes of cheese. )
- ½ cup almonds, chopped or crushed
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon stoneground mustard
- ½ tablespoon raw honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with the salt, pepper, and chili powder. Saute in the oil for a few minutes, flipping the chicken now and then to cook through and get a nice golden color on both sides. When the chicken is cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut and prep all the vegetables and fruits. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into bite sized pieces. Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl - you can either arrange the bowl by ingredient, like pictured, or toss everything together. Refrigerate to chill.
- For the dressing, puree all the dressing ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust to your preferences. Pour dressing over salad and serve.
My family loved this. They asked for again the next day.. to bad it was all gone. They ate it all. I left out the cayenne. Recipe didn't call for pepper or Onion. I added those in. I got this from http://lilluna.com
Mexican Chicken and Corn Soup
- 2 tsp. butter
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chiles
- 3-4 cups frozen corn
- 3-4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped bite size
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- colby jack cheese
- Bell pepper ( I use yellow)
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- Add butter and garlic to a large pot. Simmer for a few minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, corn and all spices. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a low simmer. Add your chicken and let it warm up for a few minutes. Stir in your heavy cream until all mixed. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve into bowls and sprinkle cheese on top