- I have always use a jar of sauce when I made spaghetti. My family is more exicted about spaghetti night now that I use this recipe. I only do half of this recipe.
2 lbs Italian sausage, casings removed (mild or hot)
- (I use ground sausage)
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups water (for a long period of simmering for flavors to meld. If you don't want to simmer it as long, add less)
- 3 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (this makes it pretty spicy. might want to cut back or not use it at all.)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine (I didn't add this)
- 1 lb thin spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
1In large, heavy stockpot, brown Italian sausage, breaking up as you stir.
- 2Add onions and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until onions are softened.
- 3Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water.
- 4Add basil, parsley, brown sugar, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- 5Stir well and barely bring to a boil.
- 6Stir in red wine.
- 7Simmer on low, stirring frequently for at least an hour. A longer simmer makes for a better sauce, just be careful not to let it burn!
- 8Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- 9Spoon sauce over drained spaghetti noodles and sprinkle with parmesan cheese
Found at food.com